[WikiEN-l] JTDirl sysop issue

Stevertigo stevertigo at attbi.com
Mon Jun 2 04:44:31 UTC 2003

Quoth the new Matrix movie... "you dont know a man until you've fought
him" - I believe I have the distinction of being the first to have fought
James... About a dozen 35k talk pages record our debate about a trivial
little matter regarding some old Irish potatoes... anyway... Jay did indeed
cross a line of civility there with me, and I and others were keen to point
it out.. Either way, all the fighting softened both of us quite a bit, and
in the end he was able to see my points, and I was able to understand his
point of view as well... Civility prevailed. Referees dont even try to stop
any fights until some blood/teeth on the floor.

At the heart of the matter, with J, despite honest disagreement - was a
mutual interest in making the IPF article a good one, and for this to happen
some simple restructuring had to take place... (By the way... how IS the IPF
article doing?? :))  This mutual interest in quality... of understanding how
different points of view on a subject - is in itself in need of addressing
in a quality article. There are those who want to bury facts - remove
details etc - James, I thought, was one of them, but in fact - in the end -
compromised quite equitably in the inclusion and reordering of the IPF
material.
In all, he and I in fact had little disagreement - rather each wanted to
take different angles to the article - neither of them were entirely
encyclopedic to begin with. My POV was overly heated - his was overly
sterile...

Anyway - Im a fucking expert. I dont care what little disputes some people
have gotten into... the communalist - beat up on the outsider tendencies of
all cliques means that the stagnant quo is the law of the land... And this
would tend to mean that JT would not become a sysop - given the bubblings of
a pissy well-placed individual or two - I know nossink of the conflicts
involved - only that Jay is not unreasonable - and has contributed so damn
much to the WP - that its ridiculous that this would even be an issue.

-Steven MacGrieves