[WikiEN-l] FW: Regarding Advertising on Wikipedia

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Sun Jun 1 19:21:14 UTC 2003

LittleDan wrote:

>No, I think it would be ok to have advertizers sponsor pages. Here is an
>expansion on the idea. The ad is in small text and simply says:this page
>sponsored by [[Toyota]]. with a link to their *wikipedia* article. If one
>doesn't exist, they can write one, but it still must be NPOV. This type of
>low-impact advertizing often has (ironically) the biggest effect because
>people aren't as annoyed. A wikipedian could also sponsor the page with a link
>to their userpage. More than one person or company could sponsor a page. The
>homepage couldn't be sponsored. Each sponsor request would be screened to
>prevent linking [[Toyota|Toyota, the beat car company in the world]]. I would
>cost, say, $1 for 100 impressions, to encourage low-budget advertizers
>and users to sponsor things. I don't think this would lower our academic
>credibility at all.

You know, I wouldn't mind such an advertising system.
But I'd still oppose instituting one.

The reason is that I don't trust such things not to expand,
especially when we'd get paid for expansion directly in cash.
For Americans, I can think of no better warning than
the growth of advertising of public radio and television.
What used to be "The following program is sponsored
in part by General Motors, this station, and viewers like you."
has become professionally produced 15-second spots
with full colour and moving pictures.
Still *less* advertising that on commercial TV,
but otherwise not *different*.

-- Toby