[WikiEN-l] FW: Regarding Advertising on Wikipedia

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Sun Jun 1 19:11:49 UTC 2003

From: Daniel Ehrenberg <littledanehren at yahoo.com>

Why does everyone oppose advertising? If it's descrete enough, it's not
intrusive and doesn't lower our credibility.

I do not oppose advertising on Wikipedia (or on a fork). It is hard to
imagine an article which would not lead gracefully to a short, non-obtrusive
ad at the bottom of a page, if nothing else for a book about the subject of
the article. It is, however, a "slippery slope" and anyone knows that once a
camel gets its nose in the tent the rest of the camel is not far behind.

It is hard to sell advertising in any event. People who do sell advertising
find it very hard indeed if they have only a no-intrusive option to offer.
WalMart is not likely to be happy with anything less than saturation
pop-ups.

Non-profit status and extensive advertising produce an emotional if not a
legal disconnect.

Fred