[WikiEN-l] FW: Regarding Advertising on Wikipedia

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Jun 1 09:05:00 UTC 2003

Michael-
> An interesting way to offer advertising, would be to offer to let people
> sponsor pages.  This is done with Highways, (i.e. This section of
> highway sponsored by such and such).  I think many users would like this
> idea, and would sponsor pages they contributed heavily to, and you could
> offer packages for "advertisers" outside of the project like mentioned
> above, (using some sort of algorithm to figure out what pages are
> relevant) and then offer a price per page type thing.

Any kind of advertising will hurt our credibility as an educational
project. Once the Nupedia Foundation is set up[1], raising money should be
easy enough.

Regards,

Erik

[1] A phrase which will in future times be listed alongside similar
phrases like
"Once Duke Nukem Forever is released"
"Once fusion power becomes feasible"
"Once copyright terms are reduced to 14 years".