[WikiEN-l] naming convention for birds

Dante Alighieri dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com
Sun Jun 1 08:18:17 UTC 2003

At 09:02 PM 5/31/2003, you wrote:
>daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
>
>>Where was the discussion for the naming convention for animals. A new
>>user is reverting the Canada goose, and I really don't want to get into
>>that whole fight again.
>>
>>Danny
>
>It was never resolved.
>According to the The Globe and Mail Style Book: "The generic English names
>of animals and plants, and common adjectives attached to them, are
>lower-case".  Certainly the provisions of a Canadian style book should
>apply to a Canadian species.
>
>Also the Style Manual for Biological Journals as "Prepared by the
>Committee on Form and Style of the Conference of Biological Editors of the
>American Institute of Biological Sciences" states at page 68, "Generic
>names used as vernacular names are neither italicized nor capitalized"

The Canada goose is not a strictly Canadian species. There are countless
Canada geese every day (during the appropriate season) in my neighborhood,
and I live in California.

-----
Dante Alighieri
dalighieri at digitalgrapefruit.com

"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their
neutrality in times of great moral crisis."
    -Dante Alighieri, 1265-1321