[WikiEN-l] Why is 'CrucifiedChrist' less offensive than a pun on oral sex?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Jan 29 08:58:07 UTC 2003

Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 03:44:33PM -0800, Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> I concur, with the caveat that in all but a few shocking cases that
>> only a twisted mind such as mine could think up anyway, ha ha, I don't
>> think that someone coming in with an offensive nickname is enough to
>> ban the *person*, particularly on a first offense.  We can just tell
>> them that they need to pick a more professional handle.
>

> I am in favor of renaming them summarily.  Or at least changing their
> "nickname" that shows up in recent changes, while leaving the actual
> login name itself alone.

I would at least notify a newbie that some Wikipedians consider the name
to be offensive, and give him a day or two to choose something more
suitable.  I'm not personally offended by these names, but I do find
them infantile.  I would also advise the offender that even the most
tolerant Wikipedians may consider that person's contributions
unreliable, and subject to closer scrutiny.

Eclecticology