[WikiEN-l] "Best of" lists

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Sat Jan 25 01:00:38 UTC 2003

I do feel that the modest [[One-hit wonder]] article that I started
was pretty well rendered meaningless by fights about "well they had
two hits in England" followed by going through a reference book and
adding every single record by anyone who never had another hit to the
list and splitting it up between England and US so you couldn't see
any relationships.  Perfectly normal, now that I look back on it, but
the phenomenon of one-jit wonders was not well served by it.  I had
thought of making a [[One-hit wonder hall of fame]] so that genuine,
standout singular singles would have a chance of their proper notice.
I'm thinking of "Radar Love" by Golden Earring in particular. but
there could be a densely packed little list of truly memorable, even
influential, one-hit wonders.

Likewise, in the music articles, to have sax players off of someone's
favorite album in between [[John Coltrane]] and [[Charlie Parker]]
makes it hard to understand the development of style on the
instrument.  Again, I considered shoveling a ton of them off into
something called [[Beloved favorites]], but couldn't face the
talk-page wars that would surely follow.  [[List of novelists]] grows
more "complete" and less useful with each passing day.

Anything that anyone might try to do bogs down in "that's just your
opinion" and "Kenny G has sold 22 billion albums, how can you say he's
not important".  Seems hopeless.  The best chance might be to make
lists of members of rock and roll hall of fame, Pulitzer Prize winners
(Duke Ellington was turned down for one), Booker Prize winners,
whatever can be made to look objective.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88