[WikiEN-l] Brilliant prose rename brainstorm

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Fri Dec 12 14:55:25 UTC 2003

I'm convinced that for Wikipedia to be a feeder for a free, open source
encyclopedia WHICH READERS CAN HAVE CONFIDENCE IN, we must have some
sort of certification system. Again, precisely what that system will be,
I don't know. I'm a software engineer, and I can't predict the design of
a system before I start coding it; just knowing the requirements is
never enough.

The first thing I'd like to try would involve /specific versions/ of
Wikipedia articles, which if I recall correctly was central to Larry
Sanger's "sifter" proposal. This, of course, raises the question of how
we decide which version to certify. But, being a software engineer (and
a very confident, optimistic person :-) I see no reason not to go down
that road even if I can't see past the first turn.

 Two roads diverged in a snowy wood
 And looking down one as far as I could
 .
 .
 .
 I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.

Ed Poor