[WikiEN-l] Glossary for Neutrality and the "majority" view

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 10 22:04:49 UTC 2003

Poor, Edmund W wrote:

>Ray mentioned "Twelve Angry Men", and Geoff mentioned "Calvinball".
>
>Twelve Angry Men is an old movie about a jury trying to come to a
>verdict after a murder trial. The first vote is 11-1 and boy is everyone
>mad at Henry Fonda for being the lone hold out! He says that it is
>morally wrong (and illegal to, boot) to condemn a man to death while
>EVEN ONE juror has a "reasonable doubt". (The more recent remake, with
>George C. Scott, has the same plot.)
>
>Calvinball is a game whose rules frequently and spontaneously change as
>Calvin and Hobbes (two cartoon characters) play it. No accusation of
>cheating can ever stick, because each act is judged according to the
>update rules - and either player can change any rule any time. It would
>be an understatement to describe the result as chaotic.

This only proves proves the the Wikipedia membership at large is a
treasure trove of allusions. :-)

>Oh, and Ray's mention of "cannon" was a typo; I guess he meant "canon",
>i.e., the body of accepted scripture. (The Wikipedia article discusses
>WHO does the accepting and WHY.)

Guilty!  Despite taking pride in an extensive vocabulary I do have some
items that I never remember correctly.  If I'm working on an actual
article I would look it up every time.  Cannon law turns out to be quite
a blast. :-)

Ec