[WikiEN-l] Question

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Dec 10 01:00:11 UTC 2003

Angela wrote:

>Toby Bartels wrote:
>
>>As for Wikipedia bans and block policy, however, I'm
>>not sure that's resolved. Was RickK right to block
>>Adrian?  Was Adrian a vandal?  I don't think so. But
>>I'm not sure what the blocks justification was, since
>>it's not in the log.
>>

>It is in the log. See [[Wikipedia:Block_log]], not
>[[Special:Ipblocklist]]):
>
>I'm not saying it was necessarily wrong to block this
>user, but it was certainly wrong to block him without
>warning. He had only made three edits to an existing
>article and created a new one twice. This isn't a huge
>number of edits and they were all easily reversible,
>so there was no emergency need to block him in my
>opinion.

I agree. When Sysops are too quick to use heavy-handed methods against
newcomers they are often more harmful than the problems that they
pretend to solve.  There was a time when everybody would be outraged
when Ed Poor was too quick to block pages or ban users.  From the little
that I've seen about Adrian, he has been more than willing to adapt when
the problem was explained to him.  Trying to impose excessive orthodoxy
just drives people away.

Ec