Micronation (was Re: [WikiEN-l] Question)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Tue Dec 9 14:38:53 UTC 2003

John asked:

> Meanwhile, what are bits like Monaco, the Vatican,
> Nauru, etc etc etc called?
>
> Microstates?

I think they're called "principalities" -- at least Monaco is.

I hope this ends up with an article explaining all the types of
political sovereignty, starting with the biggest (population and/or
area), and descending to the tiniest.

Last year someone started writing about [[enclave]]s and exclaves.

Your other question is interesting, too. See [[Kurdistan]] for an
ethno-cultural group with no sovereignty; even though /-stan/ means
"country", there is no country called Kurdistan; the Kurds are spread
out among northeast Iraq, and a couple of other adjoining areas.

It starts getting REALLY complicated when speaking of groups having
nationalistic aspirations.