[WikiEN-l] Double checking

Alex T. alex756 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Dec 4 21:28:41 UTC 2003

 From: "Jimmy Wales" <jwales at bomis.com>
To: <wikien-l at Wikipedia.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 2:54 PM
Subject: [WikiEN-l] Double checking

> If I overlooked anyone in my appointments, don't be insulted and don't
> hesitate to ask about it.  It was unintentional.  I tried to appoint
> everyone who volunteered.  Anyone who is left over and would still
> like to be appointed will be appointed to mediation.
>
> Oh, there's one exception.  Alex R. volunteered, but what he wrote made
> it sound more like he's volunteered to act as a "public defender" for
> anyone who is facing the arbitration committee's judgment (i.e. a
> possible ban).  So I took that to mean that he's volunteering to be
> part of the overall process, but that role is actually different from
> either mediation or arbitration, and so of course if he wants to offer
> to anyone who needs it, that's great.

That is right Jimmy and considering the other things I am doing around
here it looks more like I am a de facto member of the Wikimedia
legal affairs department, and it might get confusing if I put on too many
hats. If there is anyway I can help anyone faced with all this power
that building up and it is alright with you (and I guess the rest of the
board once they come on line) I'd rather just be in the wings willing
to help buffer someone who might have difficulty dealing with a
difficult situation (as long as it does not get me into an unwaivable
conflict of interest situation where I would have to withdraw from
helping Wikimedia and any member facing discipline of one or another
sort).

Alex R.