[WikiEN-l] Wikiquette committee appointments

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Dec 4 21:01:06 UTC 2003

Jimmy-

thanks for the nomination, but I have to decline at this point because of
time constraints and for philosophical reasons. Given that I'm frequently
a person *involved* in disputes, it would only seem too likely that I
would have to recuse myself much of the time. I prefer to get involved in
a non-formal manner and only request the intervention of formal authority
when necessary.

I will be very interested in seeing how these two committees make their
decisions, and offer my comments along the way. Re: mailing lists - not
sure about that. Cunctator has been an ardent advocate of using message
boards. I have some reservations about boards, but perhaps this would be
an opportunity to try them, especially as this will be a "use once, then
forget" kind of system (i.e. people will not want to subscribe/unsubscribe
for a single debate). phpBB allows posting without registration, and
the admins could be registered users who are also moderators on the board.

An alternative option would be Phorum, which can be interfaced with
mailing lists using a script called Phorummail. But phpBB would be faster
to set up. I would volunteer as a board admin (technical only) in case we
go with phpBB.

Regards,

Erik