[WikiEN-l] *sigh* it's sunday and the nuts are here

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 25 01:29:26 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:
>But seriously, I'd like to propose a new "What Wikipedia is not" item:
>
>* a compendium of *all* human knowledge, no matter how trivial
>
>this means we don't have the nine million digits of pi; or the Helsinki
>telephone book, or my shopping list from last week.

This isn't anything new. "Wikipedia is an encyclopedia" is our third most
important policy. That means that we don't include the entire gene sequences
of organisms, source code for entire free-software programs and yes pi to one
billion places (or anything above 40 places for that matter).

These things have and should continue to be deleted right away and without any
apology. I am surprised that the pi to x places entries weren't deleted right
away. There are plenty of other places to mirror this information but
Wikipedia isn't one of them.

Focus people! We are building an encyclopedia. Granted a huge one, but an
encyclopedia nonetheless.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)