[WikiEN-l] Clean up our mess! (was: A concept from Buckminster Fuller)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Nov 23 01:48:52 UTC 2002

tarquin wrote:

> Jimmy Wales wrote:
>
>> I think that's all basically correct.  It's hard to strike the right
>> balance, but one thing that I do think we can do a better job of is in
>> educating/indoctrinating newcomers that we play nicely here, that we
>> aren't here to fight and argue, but to produce.
>
> This gives me a thought: maybe we should all of us spend a week or so
> cleaning up ALL talk pages that have arguments, particularly the
> long-resolved stuff.
> Maybe these play a significant part in *not* conveying the impression
> that we play nicely here.
>
> Maybe we should be more Wiki-like in refactoring discussions as we work.

The principle is good, but it runs contrary to the lazy element in human
nature.  I've tried a little refactoring, and it's tough work.  The
practice seems to be that when arguments get too long so that the page
loads too slowly we prefer to stuff the old files into an archive and
start the whole same argument all over again.

For those of us who also believe that respect is a positive quality,
there's a natural apprehension about deleting other contributors' comments.

But your right, and I should consider doing my share.

Eclecticology