[Wikidata-l] Fwd: [Wiki-research-l] Wikidata opinion piece in The Atlantic

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Apr 13 10:31:23 UTC 2012

At 11:36 13/04/2012, Jeroen De Dauw wrote:
>Hey,
>I've been following the usage of WikiData on twitter, and for the
>last week or so, more then half the tweets have been pointing to
>this article. Apparently people like to criticize :)

To discuss something fundamental is not criticizing. This article
raises a problem we know very well à the different (linguistic,
telecom, network) strata below (diversity, orthotypography,
normalization, informatics, canonization, globalization,
internationalization, etc. ) which now touches the semantical and
intellectual strata.

Engineering issues, as discussed here, are for the technical
processes to work better. The problem is to determine what "better"
societaly means in an "antropobotical" society (persons/robots) like
ours - broadly influenced by its daily experience of Wikipedia. This
leads to fundamental questions on the Freedom of Knowledge. The
difficulty is the resulting ethical/technical loop and the impact on
engineering orientations.

jfc