[Wikidata-l] Archiving references for facts?

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Apr 2 00:37:05 UTC 2012

At 00:46 02/04/2012, John Erling Blad wrote:

>US users can use <http://archive.org>archive.org, but foreigners
>might get into troubles. Remember that wikipedia/-data isn't US
>only. Both (?) Archive.org and webcitation removes conten on
>request, it shall be some tricks to automate it for catalogues and
>sites. Check it out.

Another issue is to be considered in that line of thinking :
copyrights protection by new/coming laws that permit lawyers to block
a site preventively (eg. Cyberdefense proposition in the USA).
Wikidata should permit a permanent legal operational to attend to a
lawyer's demand in one country without blocking users from other
countries. This would mean modularity, i.e. a conflict with the
concept of a central source.

Another issue is that "truth is not always good to say". In lingual
versions, not telling a full truth is acceptable. Not for a central
reference system like Wikidata. With probable retaliations against
its credibility.

I will pick a well known example. Many interests  (including Govs)
wish to hide people the way the DNS is really designed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System does not hide that
the DNS uses CLASSes and it correctly states that "Each class is an
independent name space with potentially different delegations of DNS
zones".  But it only states: "The CLASS of a record is set to IN (for
Internet) for common DNS records involving Internet hostnames,
servers, or IP addresses. In addition, the classes Chaos (CH) and
Hesiod (HS) exist."

This actually hides Wikipedia's readers that the DNS actually counts
65,536 CLASSes, and that a CLASS actually means a fully independent
Root file, meaning that the Internet could run perfectly well with
65,536 ICANN/NTIA similar set-ups. And incidentally without root file
systems. This is not something that Wikidata acting as a world unique
source on the DNS could hide. The only response of those who want a
status quo in the people's beliefs about the DNS, would be to fight
the credibility of Wikidata. In spite of decades old URLs to the DNS RFCs.

Such campaign would multiply with all the truths which are not good
to say and that Wikidata will have to collect. We should technically
be prepared to opposes such campaigns in having a very easy system to
use in order to confirm our sources : the actual words of the
concerned texts, not only the URL to a document containing them.

jfc