[Wikibots-l] Interwiki links between disamb and non-disamb pages

Daniel Herding DHerding at gmx.de
Fri Jun 10 08:20:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

I guess all of you who have used the interwiki bot have run into
conflicts where e.g. [[en:Mars (planet)]] links to [[xy:Mars]], but
[[xy:Mars]] has lately become a disambiguation page.

In such a case it's a complete mess to clean it up because you have to
manually change the 'Planet Mars' page in all languages and fix all the
bad xy: links. This problem is getting worse as we have a rising number
of active Wikipedias.

I want to propose a rule that there should never be any interwiki links
between disambiguation pages and non-disambiguation pages. If we
implemented this in PyWikipediaBot, all you had to do is fix the bad
link to xy: on one wiki and let the bot run on all the others.

Yuri has already created code to recognize disambiguation pages by the
{{disambiguation}} template, and we've got nearly all translations. So
implementing what I proposed would be extremely easy.

It should also replace the marking programmed by Yuri, which is causing
some trouble because warnfiles don't work properly anymore.

The downside would be that in some rare cases it is intended to have
interwiki links between disamb and non-disamb pages. But I think that
this is outweighed by the positive effect.

What do you think of it?

Daniel