[Wiki-research-l] War of 1812 and all that

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Wed Oct 31 20:33:28 UTC 2012

>________________________________

Stein, K., & Hess, C. (2007). Does it matter who contributes: A study on featured articles in the German Wikipedia. In HT '07: Proceedings of the eighteenth conference on hypertext and hypermedia (pp. 171-174). ACM. http://dx.doi.org/10.1145/1286240.128629

And using the same method from Stein & Hess, we can draw similar conclusions for all the largest Wikipedias, specially in the case of English.

http://felipeortega.net/sites/default/files/thesis-jfelipe.pdf (see section 4.5, starting on page 129).

Best,
Felipe.

>On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 6:04 PM, Piotr Konieczny <piokon at post.pl> wrote:
>
>Well, this is based on  my experience as GA author and reviewer. I have never seen an IP successfully nominate an article (I did see nominations once or twice, they failed quickly, as the articles were not up to GA level and IP never came back). And of course, I have yet to see an IP GA reviewer (that is not a troll or a useless if good faithed newbie). If you are aware of any successful GANs were the primary author was an IP, I'd like to look at them. I'd hypothesize that:
>>* they are a tiny percentage of the whole (if we have more than a
      10 GAs written by anons in our pool of 15,000 or so, I'd be very
      surprised; if more than 100 I am willing to eat a hat, or more
      constructively, I'll write a DYK (if possible) on a subject of
      your choice :D);
>>* majority of anon-written GAs are old, have been already
      delisted, or would not pass a modern GA review (and if nominated
      for a current GA review, would fail, due to not meeting criteria
      and the primary author being unreachable to address the issues
      raised).

>>--
Piotr Konieczny "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat." --Józef Pilsudski
>>On 10/29/2012 4:30 PM, Laura Hale wrote:
>>

>>>On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 7:19 AM, Piotr Konieczny <piokon at post.pl> wrote:
>>>
>>>Anonymous or low activity editors can contribute high quality content, certainly, but quantity (and by extrapolation, most quality) comes from registered ones.

          SPE; and most of the primary contributors to those articles
          likely have many high quality edits to a large number of other
          articles).

>>>What is this based on?  I've seen a number of articles written by
      IP addresses that have been GA quality articles.  Anyone can
      nominate a GA.  (I could have nominated them for instance.)  Rules
      may prohibit their nomination at FA, but rules at GA do not
      prohibit articles primarily written by IP addresses from being
      nominated.