[treasurers] Welcome, and introductions

Sebastian Moleski sebastian.moleski at wikimedia.de
Mon Dec 12 12:31:55 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

My name is Sebastian Moleski and I serve as a volunteer at Wikimedia
Deutschland (WMDE) in the role of its president and as a member of its
board. I've been involved with Wikipedia since 2004 and have been a WMDE
board member since 2007. From August 2008 through July 2009 I served as
interim executive director (ED) while the chapter was looking for a
permanent replacement for Arne Klempert, who used to be ED from 2006
until 2008. In my non-Wikimedia life, I'm CEO of NetService24 GmbH, an
internet service company specializing in domain name registration,
webhosting, and online security located in Munich, Germany. I've
graduated from Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, TX in 2006 with
a degree in Economics.

I'm on this list because I view money as a great enabler for making
creative and innovative programs run by Wikimedians happen. Together
with our then-VP Alice Wiegand, I was the mastermind behind WMDE's
Community Projects Budget, which is a €200,000 fund for projects
initiated and led by Wikimedians, with a volunteer commission evaluating
proposals and allocating funds. It's been a tremendous success with
close to 100 ideas proposed since it started in April of this year.

By participating in the discussion on this list, I want to make sure
that the matter of accountability and financial controls is always also
viewed in the light of supporting and strengthening effective programs.
One of our largest challenges, from my experience, is how we spend the
money that comes in, and how to do so effectively. Thorough budget
planning is still sparse within the Wikimedia movement. Where planning
exists, underspending has been rampant. That means, besides figuring out
how to ensure proper accountability, responsibility, and efficiency in
spending, we also need to figure out how to improve planning and
execution to a level where spending is effective and no donation remains
unused.

I'm very much looking forward to the discussions here, on Meta, and
wherever else they make sense.

Beste Grüße
Sebastian Moleski
President
Wikimedia Deutschland e. V.
Eisenacher Straße 2
10777 Berlin

Telefon 030 - 219 158 26-0
www.wikimedia.de

http://spenden.wikimedia.de/

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.