[treasurers] Welcome, and introductions

James Hare messedrocker at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 15:18:28 UTC 2011

Greetings!

I am James Hare, Treasurer of Wikimedia District of Columbia, which
represents Washington, DC and four other U.S. states. As treasurer it
is my job to keep the books, prepare the budget, answer to our
unfortunately undersized Audit Committee, and serve as the ex-officio
chairman of the Fundraising Committee. Regrettably, the number of
finance-types in our organization is really small. In fact, I'm not
even an accountant by trade, nor am I (at this time) studying to
become one. But given that I'm responsible for keeping track of mostly
cash transactions and not the balance sheet of Goldman Sachs, it
hasn't been an excessive burden. Matt Bisanz, who has formal training
in accounting, serve as our Audit Committee chair (and its only
member).

Our current challenge is fundraising, as we are a brand new chapter
that needs to bring in hundreds of thousands of dollars for Wikimania
2012. Last night I finished our fundraising plan for this fiscal year,
which focuses largely on the ancillary marketing and networking
strategies Wikimedia DC will need to adopt. My ambition going forward
is to set up a number of relationships with local organizations so
that we can rely less and less on the Wikimedia Foundation for our
funding. Our need is particularly pressing since we cannot rely on the
website fundraiser for our revenue.

James Hare