[Translators-l] Call for translation: WMF website housekeeping - Phase 3 begins!

Aphaia aphaia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:07:36 UTC 2008

Hello,
Seasons greetings

Transcom has begun a spring house keeping drive on Wikimedia
Foundation website [1]. We happily have seen many productive responses
and would like to thank you all who have offered hands.

Now we would like to appreciate specially on that:
* we have now a complete set of soft redirect message. [2]
* we have many updated main page of WMF [2a], either completely
(including French) or partly (including Italian and Polish).
* also we see many requested translation on-going and close to
completion (including Spanish)

We internally ended the phase 2, that is, determine outdated and
abandoned pages (from April 8). Without hearing any report there is
translation on-going but done outside of wiki, I made up two criteria
as proposals:
- if a page was last edited until August 2007 or earlier, it will be
blanked and turned into soft redirect without exception, unless it is
the Main Page (Main Page will be turned into a hard redirect to
English page)
- if a page was last edited in August 2007 or later, the content will
stay but with {{update needed)).

I would like to discuss those criteria with you all, but it wouldn't
be a problem to turn the 2004 page into a redirect, so I think we will
be able to start the pages picked up from [[special:Oldpages]]. I
expect to see the consensus based conclusion within a week.

Now, let us start the third phase. And as said, I'd love to start is
as soon as possible.
#3. Turning those outdated and abandoned pages into soft redirects.
Soft redirects will be template messages with a link to another
language version or more. We are thinking English versions, unless the
other language is recommended. We now have a template for this
purpose, that is, {{updeed needed}}  [2].

Anyone who has wmf wiki account is welcome to help this out. We'll
upload the {{updeed needed}} to the site, if not yet.

Cbrown1023 made a list of outdated pages [3], it will be a good start
to pick the page, specially you are interested in updating, rather
than turning them into redirect. For picking too old pages, it would
be easier to start from [[Special:Oldpage]].

The next and last phase will be:
 #4. Final review (May 21)
  There would be the pages which are not ready on April 8 but ongoing
 or just said to be ready in  days. If no work is done at all by this
 date, those pages will also be turned into redirect.

 Workspace for translation of each page may be found through
 [[meta:Translation requests]] (aka [[m:TR]]). [4]

 Questions and suggestions are welcome as always. You are welcome to
 ask a question on this list, [[m:Meta talk:Babylon]] [5] or IRC
 channel #wikimedia-translation. For general guidance about translation
 on meta, [[m:Translation]] will be helpful. [6]

 Happy translation!

  [1] http://wikimediafoundation.org
  [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/update_needed/en
  [2a] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Translation_requests/WMF/Home