[Toolserver-l] Tracking external link statistics over time

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 22:18:04 UTC 2011

On 29/11/11 18:49, Lars Aronsson wrote:
> In the last few days, I've learned many things, such as
> 1) using the rrdb instead of userdb servers,
If you were to store the data in the server, you would need a userdb server.

(...)

> Does the toolserver give me any other options to get statistics
> on the enwiki database?

You could load it in ranges, and then merge all of the results.

> I could load page.sql and
> externallinks.sql into my own MySQL instance, now that
> these dumps are produced on a monthly schedule. Is that
> my best option? Can I set up my own MySQL for this on the
> toolserver? Or should I move the project to my own server?

That's the wrong solution. It might be faster to process the sql file
with string tools (unlikely, having to match pageids with namespaces)
but using a user level mysqld for that is completely overkill.