[Toolserver-l] Better toolserver status?

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 17 14:45:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Casey Brown <lists at caseybrown.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Daniel Schwen <lists at schwen.de> wrote:
>> Sure, I was a bit sloppy with the terminology, but the message still
>> stands. Even in an emergency, please think about _priorities_. Five
>> minutes taken to write a notification
>
> I think this needs a little bit of clarifying.
>
> A notification should be written if the downtime is going to be more
> extended or if you stop working on it for some amount of time (you
> can't do it, you go to bed, or something like that). If you're busy
> working on fixing it, that's your first priority and I don't think
> anyone wants you to stop prioritizing that. :-)

100% agree.

> Wikimedia ops are the same way -- it's the sysadmins first priority to
> fix up the techie stuff, that's their job. If someone's not doing
> anything at the moment and has some free time, *then* they should make
> communicating about the issue a priority. In the meantime, anyone
> watching what's going on in #wikimedia-toolserver can share what
> they're seeing with confused endusers.

Idea: How about some one-line message detailing current issues (if
any) with the toolserver that I could transclude from a single
location on top of my tools? That would alert all "my" users that
there is a problem with the toolserver (and not my tool specifically),
and that it's being worked on.

Magnus