[Toolserver-l] Better toolserver status?

Magnus Manske magnusmanske at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:21:54 UTC 2011

Several users were worried about toolserver tools that stopped working
without (to them) apparent reason. I have tried to explain in in
non-tech-German [1] and it seems that helped.

I was then asked if these issues are communicated somewhere centrally.
I found [2], which points to [3], which returns 404. It would probably
be too technical anyway. status.toolserver.org would not help the
average user either, even if it were always up-to-date.

So, should issues that affect the toolserver users (either the
code-writing or the tool-using, or both) be mentioned somewhere? There
is the toolserver blog [4], with the last entry from February 2010...

I think if all toolserver admins had write access to that blog, one of
them could spare 5 minutes (if that) to update the general public
about major issues or changes (changing stuff on the toolserver, even
supposedly minor changes, tends to break stuff...).

Cheers,
Magnus

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Forum#Zentrale_Info_.C3.BCber_Technikprobleme
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Toolserver/MaintenanceLog