[Toolserver-l] Query Service Inquiry

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:25:26 UTC 2011

Jim Hutchinson wrote:
> (I tried to post this question before but was not properly registered for
> the mailing list. If this is a repeat I apologize.)
>
> I am in need of some guidance on how to get some data out of the query
> service. I signed up for an account, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to
> create an "issue" or if there is some other process I should follow. I'm
> also not sure if the query service is right way to go about this.
>
> In short, as part of a graduate research project, I need to select about 100
> articles in Wikipedia, find the most frequent editors (there is a
> "contributors" tool which ranks them) such as those with more than 10 edits
> to the article and then for each of these editors generate a list of all
> pages they have edited with a frequency count for each.
>
> Does this sound like the query service is the right way to go about
> collecting this data and if so can someone point me to the proper procedure
> for making such a request?
>
> Thanks.

If you get a toolserver account, you don't need the query service, as you
could perform them yourself.
Otherwise, doing such queries using toolserver tables is a way to do it.
Another way would be for you to download the stub-articles.xml.gz file
from http://dumps.wikimedia.org/ and process it to fetch that data.
100 articles is easy to do.