[Toolserver-l] Enable GZip-Compressin on Zeus [was: Javascript Libs]

Peter Körner osm-lists at mazdermind.de
Wed Sep 8 20:32:10 UTC 2010

Am 08.09.2010 20:56, schrieb Tim Alder:
> Fine, but we need way to transfer this scripts over the network as gzip.
> So your OpenLayer.js is 856 kB big and needs 1.38s for transfer.
> I use php for compression, so it looks for the client like normal
> JavaScript. My OpenLayers-original2-9.js.php that I use in
> OSM-Gadget need 193 kB (the same like that from openlayers.org) and
> needs 0.53 sec for transfer.
Yes, that's true. I've looked around for Zeus Webserver configuration
but I didn't manage it to compress the files while respecting the accept
header. I'd like to ask toolserver-l first if anyone knows a smarter way.

> For the Openlayers application in Geohack of the german WP I removed all
> unnecessary features (with the help Openlayerer.org + Try&Error) so I
 > come to 82 kB with compression.
If you want me to host that smaller version on the osm-account, please
send a link to fetch it from.

> PHP is the only way I know to start the gzhandler, there are surely
> better ways for admins in server-preferences.
> It's seem not usefull to compress a file everytime new.
We could cache it there and check filemtime every now and then. It could
maybe even be hidden using Zeus' rewrite support, but I'm sure there are
better options to get the Zeus Webserver to compress files.

> The Jquery-skript have also in the latest directory the actual
> version-number in the filename. perhaps also not optimal.
Fixed that.

> What I miss is the OpenStreetMap.js from Openstreetmap.org or is this
> not wanted?
I just missed it:
<http://toolserver.org/~osm/libs/openstreetmap/latest/>

> I think a central point for this scripts is the best way, because I
> don't need to update it for my own
> and we should surely go away from highloaded OpenLayers-Servers,
> but we should optimize it a little bit more.
Please don't expect to find always the latest version there. I might
update them every now and then and of course I will if someone asks for.

Peter