[Toolserver-l] Server switch for s3/s4/s6, Monday morning UTC

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 23:07:25 UTC 2010

Mashiah Davidson wrote:
> I guess it is not possible to reduce the limit in the bot and keep
> bot's performance at least on the same level at the same time. You
> know administration well, I know the application domain of
> connectivity analysis.
>
> I really think that the only acceptable solution for golem to continue
> working is to get the limit removed. No matter if this will be
> achieved with additional memory installed to servers or any other way.
> This does not mean of course I should not think about memory usage,
> and I will like I was in the past if the bot will be allowed to work.
> Not now.
>
> I believe you also have even more than just two options. To keep the
> limit at cassia, or to remove it. You also can introduce similar limit
> on thyme and daphna. Why not? In your options list for me I do not see
> any, which allows you helping golem to run again as a toolserver
> administrator.
>
> mashiah

Mashiah, you are not being reasonable. Your "work" is to get the
analysis done. River's work is to make sure that *everyone* accessing
the toolserver can use it decently. Even if it means reducing what each
one can individually do. That's what time-sharing is about.

You also have several options, like running the analysis on a dedicated
machine you own, or donating WM-DE compatible memory modules to upgrade
cassia adding it 4GB.

Why do you need eg. the initial phase of copying the links from language
database into memory tables (page links, category links, template links,
zero namespace pages, category pages, template pages) ?