[Toolserver-l] Interwiki-Bots

Michael Holzt wikimedia-toolserver at michael.holzt.de
Sat Jan 16 16:42:14 UTC 2010

> At pywikipedia, and more generally in the bot communities on each
> projects, we have regularly young power-users showing up, and trying
> out bots, because, well... mostly e-fame I would say, and the
> excitement of playing with a new toy.
> Depending on the bot policies, those rather Python-unskilled people
> can get bot flags on some wikis, and end up running tools they dont
> understand and that they dont update. That hurts, in many contexts.

This remark is spot on. I'm an admin on dewikinews and we had all this
trouble in the past. One bot operator even had the boldness to tell us
he can't fix his misbehaving bot because he just uses pywikipedia and
don't know how to modify it.

Of course i can't speak for dewikinews in whole, but i believe that the
existence of a central iw-bot would be enough reason to disallow all
other iw-bots and this would really change things to the better. To
be frank, i'm soooo sick of all this iw-bot madness.

Regards,
Michael

--
It's an insane world, but i'm proud to be a part of it. -- Bill Hicks