[Toolserver-l] Reminder: move your projects off stable -Geohack

Tim Landscheidt tim at tim-landscheidt.de
Fri Feb 26 18:22:33 UTC 2010

I wrote:

>>> perhaps this would be a good moment to transfer Geohack to a regular
>>> mediawiki-extension on the main servers.

>>> I hear this was also the plan of brion vibber before he go.
>>> Who we need to ask now for this?

>> I asked Brion on the Paris meeting and he said he'd have a look. But,
>> I didn't hear anything back, so I assume he didn't.

>> wikimedia.org doesn't list an official CTO, so for the time being, I
>> guess Tim Starling is the person to ask.

>> Last time I had a long look at the code, the extension part seemed to
>> be in good condition. One half is using it as a special page (just a
>> wrapper around the current code calls), and getting the wiki template
>> from the cache instead of the http rendering.

>> Compatability might have deteriorated since then, though.
>> [...]

> I had a look at the code one or two years ago, and started a
> small DWIM-and-nothing-more extension "Mapsources" along the
> lines of "Booksources" that "called" a template with the co-
> ordinates as parameters so that you could use all of Media-
> Wiki's parser functions & Co. in it. The idea would have
> been to extend it eventually to have the list of map sources
> ordered by the region of the individual coordinate and by
> user preference (Swiss coordinates: Swisstopo, British coor-
> dinates: Ordnance Survey, etc.) with a timeout so that if
> you don't react within x seconds the first map source is
> chosen.

>   But #1, then I stumbled upon a post of yours where you
> pointed out that Special:TemplateLink would be much more
> suitable to replace the whole Geohack shebang, and I think
> you were right.

>   But #2, with all the work going on with OSM and the Maps
> extension, wouldn't it be wiser to integrate Geohack's func-
> tionality with the later?

As there was no response, I resurrected the code from my ar-
chives and created
<URI:http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Mapsources>
(code available by "git clone
http://www.tim-landscheidt.de/git/Mapsources"). It's not yet
ready for production, but with the main source file below
300 LOCs, it shouldn't be that hard (mainly properly vali-
dating and escaping input).

Tim