[Toolserver-l] Changes to expired accounts web hosting

Jesse (Pathoschild) pathoschild at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 19:07:50 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Mike.lifeguard <mike.lifeguard at gmail.com> wrote:
> We could require that users freely license their code - then you would
> know at least that the four freedoms apply and redistributing it
> wouldn't be so hairy.

I don't think this is a good idea. Most of my tools are freely
licensed and open-source, as you can see in the footer at
<http://toolserver.org/~pathoschild/stalktoy/>, but there are a few
tools I do not want to publish the source code for. Synchbot is a good
example; it registers an account on every wiki in two minutes (faster
with changes), which I wouldn't want in the hands of our crosswiki
attack username vandals.

It's fine to recommend free licensing and open source, but we should
have the option not to for such cases.

--
Yours cordially,
Jesse (Pathoschild)