[Toolserver-l] I10N and toolserver subdomains

Mike Połtyn mike at poltyn.com
Wed Dec 29 13:11:51 UTC 2010

Hey, guys.

I've had an epiphany today about internationalization of the Toolserver tools.

You see, right now we have to create our own ways to provide more languages:
* http://toolserver.org/~holek/cite-gen/index.php?scriptlang=gsw
* http://toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php?uselang=ckb
etc. etc.

What I propose is language subdomains, much like Wikimedia projects
have. All language subdomains would refer to the same directories, so
we could just do Apache's ServerAlias equivalent on ZWS.

This would make possible for developers to read the language user
wants directly from the subdomain, instead of relying on seperate tool
implementation of translations.

And by that, I mean just using different parameters to describe user's
desired language, not how to achieve this. So, for example, above
links would look like this:
* http://gsw.toolserver.org/~holek/cite-gen/index.php
* http://ckb.toolserver.org/~soxred93/pcount/index.php

A tool reades subdomain's code and uses a correct language, much like
it would do with an additional parameter...
... but this parameter is now gone and is not cluttering the query string. :)

--
Mike Połtyn

-- P.S. this message is a duplicate, so I apologize if the first one