[Toolserver-l] Page view stats

Frédéric Schütz schutz at mathgen.ch
Mon Apr 12 22:30:12 UTC 2010

River Tarnell wrote:

>> Is page view statistics (as in stats.grok.se) being imported to the
>> toolserver and available in a database for quick reference?
>
> A user has made this available in raw form at /mnt/user-store/stats.  We
> are currently working on making this more official; that'll probably be
> announced in a month or two.

Being this user, I can only be glad if this happens :-) And I'll be glad
to help setting this up if I can.

Are you thinking of storing the raw data (something desperately needed,
even though there are a few copies around), or just the formatted data ?

> It's not available in the database yet, but that's something we're
> looking at doing.  If anyone else has a particular reason to need this
> data, it would help if they could describe it, so we can decide how to
> format the data, and how detailed it needs to be.

It seems that many people have been working with this data in completely
independent way; Erik Zachte has a set of scripts to reformat it (which
I have used), but several other people have developed their own tools.
It'd be nice to have a common format (better that the current "raw" data).

The interest for this goes beyond the toolserver, so I have just created
a (very short, for now) page on meta.wikipedia.org to store information
related to these files:

   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Statistics/Consultation

If this information is already available elsewhere and I missed it,
please let me know.

Frédéric