[Toolserver-l] problem with long running selects on toolserver.* tables

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Wed Sep 2 11:52:59 UTC 2009

Hi all

Today we had a problem with the toolserver.namespace table being blocked on
sql-s1. After some digging, I think I have identified the cause: there was a
very long running solect on that table. By itself, that wouldn't be a problem.
But once a day, the table gets updated from the master copy on zedler - so the
slow select blocked that update, and the pending update blocked any further
select. This way, all tools trying to use toolserver.namespace on sql-s1 were
effectively dead.

To avoid this, please don't run very slow queries on the toolserver.* tables. If
you have an idea how this kind of lockout can be avoided, perhabs be a smarter
way to copy the table from the master, I'd be happy to hear it. Currently, i
sumpl create a copy with mysqldump and then improt it.

-- daniel