[Toolserver-l] communication with wiki communities

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Sun Jun 14 10:25:08 UTC 2009

Hi all

during wikimedia germany's brithday party yesterday, I was asked to look into
improving the communication between toolserver folks and the wiki communities
using the toolserver. We have become an important part of their infrastructure,
and when things break, they notice - but often don't know who to ask about it.

So, I would like to propose a few things to improve this situation.

1) There should be a short description of the toolserver, with the relevant
links, in the project namespace of each wiki that us the toolserver
significantly. That page should be maintained by the local community of course,
but I think it would be ideal if a toolserver user who is also a member of that
community would help with that, or even start the page. I will do this for the
german wikipedia soon.

2) we, the toolserver admins, should use the toolserver blog more to communicate
what's going on with the TS. I guess several of the messages I posted here
lately should have gone to the blog too. Maybe blog posts could be forwarded to
toolserver-l automatically? posting the same thing to several places is annoying...

3) we should incurage people to describe their tools on the toolserver wiki,
kind of like the description pages for extension on mediawiki.org. Perhaps we
should have a guideline for this?

The idea is to promote some more information about who we are, what we do, and
how the toolserver works. And we should also help people to find the right
person to contact when things break. What do you think?

-- daniel