[Toolserver-l] The Norwegian toolserver

Daniel Kinzler daniel at brightbyte.de
Wed Jul 29 07:17:54 UTC 2009

Adam Dodek Michalik schrieb:
> 2009/7/29 Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org>:
>> The German toolserver is in the same rack as the European proxies, but
>> it's not better because edits and API requests have to go to Tampa.
>
> So it seems it's not any faster to run bots form German Toolserver
> than from our own, local one, as long as you don't use the database -
> am I right? Many people use TS to run their bots on it - including
> myself. Wouldn't some local TSs help balance the load?

More servers to run bots on would be a good thing. From a technical point of
view, it would be better to have all of them in the same cluster, so user
accounts and secondary services (svn, jira, etc) can be shared and
administrative overhead is minimized.

The only reasons *not* to do that are political/financial. IF those could be
resolved, that would be great. If not, then yes, having another place to run
bots is still good.

-- daniel