[Toolserver-l] The Norwegian toolserver

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jul 28 19:51:28 UTC 2009

Earlier this spring, there was some talk, perhaps within the newly
founded Wikimedia Norway chapter, to set up a common server in
Norway for analysing database dumps and running bot scripts, i.e.
a toolserver with everything except the database replication.

Did this happen? Are there a bunch of such servers around the
world today?  Is there a list of such servers?  Should we
encourage people to do this, or should we try to concentrate work
(and pool resources) to the (real / German) toolserver?

Concentrating to fewer servers has the advantage that people can
get a single account there, and join each project that is already
there.  Distributing over multiple, independent servers has the
advantage of offloading the central server.  It might also seem
like an attractive project for a new Wikimedia chapter, since a
server of their own looks like an achievement in itself.  But it
is also a waste of resources to maintain separate servers, if
these resources could instead be pooled.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)