[Toolserver-l] rebooted nightshade

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 15:36:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:59 AM, Marco Schuster
<marco at harddisk.is-a-geek.org> wrote:
> I guess this would effectively disable all those memory-eating interwiki bots ;)

There's only 8G of RAM on nightshade.  Make it a 2G limit, maybe, or
4G, but one non-root user using anything more than that seems
unreasonable.

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 6:42 AM, Bryan Tong Minh
<bryan.tongminh at gmail.com> wrote:
> And limit the number of processes a user can run. while (1) { fork();
> } is gonna run you out of pids rather than memory.

ulimit -u is already set to 500 for me, so that shouldn't be possible.

0 15:30:12 ~$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 2048000
scheduling priority             (-e) 0
pending signals                 (-i) 71680
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 32
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) 500