[Toolserver-l] RfC: globalsitenotice

Pietrodn powerpdn at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 12:00:54 UTC 2009

Il giorno 16/ago/09, alle ore 15:35, DaB. ha scritto:

> Hello all,
>
> at the moment it is difficult to inform our toolusers (people that
> use our
> tools) about planed maintainces, downtimes and other important things.

I agree.

> So I had the idea today that a kind of global sitenotice (like the
> one in the
> wikimedia-projects) would be nice and a easy solution for that. The
> easiest
> way to implement it is IMHO a simple textfile, that toolauthors
> may/can/should/whatever insert in their tools. I created such a
> file, it can
> be found at /var/www/sitenotice on wolfsbane and via
> http://toolserver.org/sitenotice. For normal the file would be empty
> or
> contains only a empty div-container. If the roots know about a
> planed downtime
> or an important change, they would insert a short text in the file
> and our
> toolusers would be informed.

I would like only simple text, it's more flexible: on TS we've several
kinds of tools, and not all of them output HTML.

> Please comment at the toolserver-mailinglist and tell me/us if you
> would
> implement the sitenotice in your tools.

I've implemented this in my tools (e.g. http://toolserver.org/~pietrodn/intersectContribs.php)
, here is the simple code I wrote down (in case it could be useful to
someone):

function print_globalnotice()
{
     $text = file_get_contents('/var/www/sitenotice');
     if($text != '')
     {
         echo '<div id="globalnotice">' . $text . '</div>';
     }
}

And the CSS:

#globalnotice {