[Toolserver-l] RfC: globalsitenotice

chris chris at bjelleklang.org
Sun Aug 16 21:04:18 UTC 2009

Peter Körner wrote:
> Alex schrieb:
>> Marco Schuster wrote:
>>> On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Alex <mrzmanwiki at gmail.com
>>> <mailto:mrzmanwiki at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     I think this would be a good idea. I've actually been considering
>>>     something like this for my tools. My idea was to use multiple
files. One
>>>     would be for issues that would affect every tool, like if the
webserver
>>>     was going to be down. Others would be for issues that may only
affect a
>>>     couple tools, like one of the DB-servers being down, or high
replag on a
>>>     server. That way tools that don't need DB access or aren't
significantly
>>>     affected by high replag won't have unnecessary notices but the tools
>>>     that do need it can still have the notice.
>>>
>>> Why so difficult? Put it into a div structure:
>>> <!-- *global* stuff goes here -->
>>> <!-- *s1* related stuff goes here -->
>>> <!-- *s2* related stuff goes here -->
>>> <!-- *s3* related stuff goes here -->
>>>
>>> This way you can selectively choose to display the status of components
>>> relevant to the specific tool.
>>>
>>> Marco
>>>
>> I considered that as well, but figured it would likely be more
>> difficult. It'll require every tool that uses it to have an extra
>> stylesheet to hide all the notices that shouldn't be displayed.
>> Additionally, it means the notice is going to be constantly filled with
>> half a dozen empty divs, or the people updating it will have to remember
>> what IDs to use for each notice.
>>

> Don't think too much in html. Some tools won't produce HTML but RSS,
> XML, TEXT, PDF or sth. How are they supposed to handle this? I'll opt
> for simple & plain text.
>
> Peter

https://wiki.toolserver.org/view/Mailing_list_etiquette
Same here, I'd rather have a file for each server; empty when
everything is running as it should, and with an error when it isn't.
Having an empty div inside would force toolmakers to check the
contents of the divs instead of just checking if the file contains any
text or not.

Chris, aka. Bjelleklang