[Toolserver-l] where's enwiki_p on s1?

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 22:43:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 2:31 PM, DaB.<WP at daniel.baur4.info> wrote:
> the truth is that we don't know it. If all goes well, it take a few days (I
> think River meant "days" insteadt of "hours") to reimport a cluster. Should we
> say next time "It need 1 month" and then after maybe 4 days "We are back
> ealier!" (the Scotty-methode) - would that help?

We can give the best estimate we have, and revise it occasionally as
things progress.  Like "The dump should take something like 2-4 days
if all goes well, and potentially much longer if errors occur and it
has to be restarted."  If the initial estimate turns out to be wrong,
we can revise it.  In this case we gave a bad estimate and then didn't
give revised estimates once the original estimate was clearly wrong.
That's an understandable mistake on our part given the givens
(volunteers etc.), but it's also understandable that it will annoy
users if we forget to give them essential information, and we
shouldn't be snapping at them for getting annoyed at our failures.