[Toolserver-l] collaborative report generator?

Misza13 misza1313 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 14 12:17:25 UTC 2008

2008/9/13 River Tarnell <river at wikimedia.org>

> <snip>
>
> opinions?
>
>        - river.

One slightly offshoot thought here...

A while ago I've been looking for open source reporting/BI frameworks (as
opposed to commercial ones like Business Objects, Hyperion, etc.) and failed
to turn in any satisfiable results (all findings were either only semi-open
or in early development stages).

So I figured there's possibly a niche that a determined team of developers
could fill in. For basics, I have wrapped my mind around possibly employing
J2EE for this, but that may be because I'm recently into Enterprise
JavaBeans and stuff (still, the EJB approach provides a good base for
abstraction and separation of the model (data access and queries), view
(presentation or results: XML, wikitext, etc.) and controller (user queries,
cron triggers)). As far as I remember, we have the GlassFish AppServ
installed on stable.ts?

In essence, such a framework would be a useful "byproduct" of this project.
;-)

Just some thoughts...

Regards,
Misza