[Toolserver-l] PHPMyAdmin on hemlock

Ilmari Karonen nospam at vyznev.net
Mon Sep 1 16:18:52 UTC 2008

Mauro Girotto wrote:
> Hi,
> since has installed the new web server (toolserver:81) I can't access
> to PHPMyAdmin using SSH tunnel. I set ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 but
> http://localhost:8080/phpmyadmin redirect to
> http://toolserver.org:81/phpmyadmin/, that doesn't work. I've tried
> ssh -L 8080:localhost:81 but not work. Which host can I use in the ssh
> tunnel?

A somewhat more reliable solution is to use SSH SOCKS tunneling (ssh -D)
and configure your browser to use the tunneled port as a SOCKS proxy
(which can be done on a per-host basis using a custom proxy auto-config
script).  Something like the following (untested!) should work:

/* set up tunnel with: ssh -fND 12345 username at login.toolserver.org */
function FindProxyForURL(url, host) {
     if (dnsDomainIs(host, ".toolserver.org"))
         return "SOCKS localhost:12345";
     else
         return "DIRECT";
}