[Toolserver-l] A blog comment.

Platonides platonides at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 21:03:28 UTC 2008

I'm Ccing Wikitech, i suggest we follow this thread there.

Nikola Smolenski wrote:
 > (thread about interwiki bots at toolserver)
>
> Coincidentally, yesterday I released a MediaWiki extension which, if
> accepted on Wikimedia projects, may make interwiki bots much less busy.
> See http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/A_newer_look_at_the_interwiki_link

It also works by manual writing of the interwikis. I don't think it's
the good way.
*You're not taking into account page moves. What will you do when a page
is moved? (by a low tech user which knows nothing about the global wiki)
*The articles will still have a 'preferred' title at the interwiki wiki.
That means discussing about article titles, "Move to English name", "No,
that's not", "Interwikis with pages on Chinese are ugly!"...

IMHO it should be a shared table referencing the wiki and page ids.
Then you provide a Special page showing all pages on that group. You'd
reference it as 'include this page into the group XX:sometitle is on'.
You can also provide some space for free-form commenting (such as
explaining the difference with another page).
Obviously, all of that must be properly logged, which with SUL should be
much easier.