[Toolserver-l] Windows toolserver

Larry Pieniazek lar at miltontrainworks.com
Wed Feb 6 12:19:23 UTC 2008

> Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:52:15 +0100 (CET)
> From: Danny B.<Wikipedia.Danny.B at email.cz>
> Subject: Re: [Toolserver-l] Windows toolserver
>
> I support Windows toolserver. I actually proposed it already
> pretty long time ago.
>
> Of course, it depends on what will be installed on it, but I
> guess some SBS package could solve it.
>
> It's not the question of unwilling to learn Unix, but the
> question of reusability of previous work - if somebody
> already has something he can can use, he most probably won't
> want to rewrite it completely in different language.
>
> Eg. I personally have a bunch of stuff written in ASP I could
> use, as well as standalone scripts in VBS/JS. There are also
> some useful freeware programs or libraries which could be
> helpful and I don't know about any Linux alternative to them
> (not saying it doesn't exist, but simply didn't find it).
>
> Danny B.

I agree with Danny B. If there is a significant chance that making this
available would bring new tools from people not otherwise inclined, or even
from people who have stuff on this platform who already contribute, it's
worth evaluating. How to determine whether there are such possible tools?
Perhaps a survey or something similar at an appropriate point? But there is
a significant body of (client side) tools that use .net already developed
(AWB, Huggle and a bunch more), some in fact are among the most popular and
powerful tools extant (run Huggle and you'll see what I mean about power and
efficiency, it's actually kind of scary how fast you can revert and block
vandal activity... and I think many people know how very useful AWB is... I
for one swear by it for a large class of tasks) so clearly there are some
relevant skills out there.

I also see where Brianna's coming from, in that there are those that might
object to providing a facility on such a closed system but I think River's
right, we should see if there's a need first before having the religious war
:)

Larry Pieniazek
Hobby mail: Lar at Miltontrainworks dot com