[Toolserver-l] Fwd: ATTENTION: query.php will be removed soon

Kalan kalan.001 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 09:47:10 UTC 2008

2008/2/3, Edward Chernenko <edwardspec at gmail.com>:
> That query api was written to secure people who write bots from web
> interface changes.

So the new API interface does. It has some serious advantages in
comparison to unmaintained query.php.

> I just
> haven't enough time to rewrite what I was working on for weeks just
> because someone "has ported that to some other interface" and wants to
> delete it without backward compability.

Writing a post of this size takes more time than making update to your
code. Old query API is capable to produce output in same formats as
the new one, you just have to change some tags' names, that's it.

Of course, we could keep it, but read what the head API developer says:

> Agree, backwards compatibility is important, but it has to be balanced
> with efforts required to maintain query.php.. Every db schema change
> must be looked at to see if query.php must be updated. Internal api
> changes may also impact its functions and performance. IIRC, there are
> already some queries not working as intended.
<http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-api/2008-February/000347.html>

If you would like to continue the discussion, please move to
mediawiki-api mailing list. This conversation is offtopic here.

— Kalan