[Toolserver-l] An IRC gateway

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed May 23 16:53:24 UTC 2007

I don't know if this has been discussed before, but would we consider
running a CGI:IRC gateway on the toolserver? I'm not sure how it fits
with the rules so I thought I'd ask. There is already a java client
somewhere but this runs off the user's PC, so is of course allowed.

The advantage of CGI:IRC is that it will run on almost any machine,
without any security warnings etc. that java is good at throwing up. I
think that a lot of users would find it a very useful to get onto IRC
which is something to generally be encouraged. We can easily restrict
it down to just Wikimedia channels.

Walter of Wikizine currently runs http://chat.wikizine.org/ but I
thought it would make sense to have it on the toolserver, which would
help him in terms of resources.

Thoughts from users and admins?

(dibs on doing this if we say yes, since I've done one of these before
and it was my idea :D)
(also, we'd need to get authorisation from freenode staff, but I can
handle this)

Sean

--
—Sean Whitton (seanw)