[Toolserver-l] A special request

Robert Leverington lcarsdata at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 17 17:35:08 UTC 2007

A the moment a discussion is underway at the Commons about allowing
administrators on the commons to view deleted images on all projects
[1]. This would allow us to check whether an image with a certain name
(or maybe hash) has been uploaded and then deleted on another project
for whatever reason (e.g. copyvio etc.). To do this we currently have
to contact someone at the project and ask them to do so for us
(especially difficult if you do not know their language).

One solution suggested would be to do this using the toolserver, the
only trouble is that to do so would require user authentication -
which is not permitted by the rules. I was wondering whether it would
be possible to get an exemption or alternatively whether a separate
authentication system set up on the toolserver tool for such a thing
and all current commons admins e-mailed a default password which they
can then change.

I hope this makes sense,
Robert.

[1] http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/COM:VP#Viewing_deleted_images_on_other_projects_and_verifying_imports