[Textbook-l] Wikibooks community-building meeting

Mike.lifeguard mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm
Sat Feb 14 00:57:17 UTC 2009

I've been thinking some about community-building in Wikibooks - I
think it's among one of the more important tasks we need to face.
To get the ball rolling somewhat, Whiteknight and I were tossing
around some ideas earlier - one that we agreed on was that having
a meeting to get wider input and brainstorming on issues of
community-building would be beneficial for Wikibooks.
I had suggested either setting up a Skype conference, or we could
just organize a time to get people together in #wikibooks on
irc.freenode.net. We'd set up a roster of topics to cover and
just fire around ideas for a while.
I'd like to invite anyone interested in particpating to do so -
including people from outside Wikibooks: if you're involved with
a like-minded organization, or if you're involved with
community-building within Wikimedia or related projects, or if
you're just interested in listening, it'd be great to have you
join us.
If you're interested, please reply with any comments, but in
particular include:
  * Whether you'd prefer to have the meeting via Skype or in IRC
  * What timezone & availability you have (I'm thinking next
    Friday or Saturday, probably)
  * Any further ideas you have for community-building in
    Wikibooks

To get us started, Whiteknight and I were discussing reaching out
to universities and other charities for book donations on
specific topics (such as a book on cancer from an organization
which deals with breast cancer) as well as recruiting editors
from their volunteer pools. Suggestions for similar topics to
discuss would of course be welcome.
I hope to hear back from some Wikibooks regulars, but also people
from the wider Wikimedia community. I've sent this to both
textbook-l and foundation-l and (I hope) I've set reply-to to
textbook-l.
Thanks,
-Mike.lifeguard
----