[Textbook-l] FW: [Wikitech-l] en.wiki migrated to new search backend

Mike.lifeguard mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm
Fri Oct 31 16:43:39 UTC 2008

We're not migrated yet, but once we are, the prefix: feature will
be /very/ useful for us, I think. Something to look forward to!
-Mike
----
Hi all,
We now have english wikipedia fully migrated to new servers / new
search
backend. We cannot fully migrate other wikis until we resolve
some hardware
issues. In the meantime, here is the overview of new features now
deployed
on en.wiki:
1) Did you mean... - we now have search suggestions. Care has
been taken to
provide suggestions that are context-sensitive, i.e. on phrases,
proper
names, etc..
2) fuzzy and wildcard queries - a word can be made fuzzy by
adding ~ to it's
end, e.g. query sarah~ thompson~ will give all different
spellings and
similar names to sarah thompson. Wildcards can now be prefix and
suffix,
e.g. *stan will give various countries in central asia.
3) prefix: - using this magic prefix, queries can be limited to
pages
beginning with certain prefix. E.g.
mwsuggest prefix:Wikipedia:Village Pump
will search all village pumps and archives for mwsuggest. This
should be
especially useful for archive searching in concert with inputbox
or
searchbox
4) intitle: - using this magic prefix, queries can be limited to
titles only
5) generally improved quality of search results via usage of
related
articles (based on co-occurrence of links), anchor text, text
abstracts,
proximity within articles, sections, redirects, improved stemming
and such
Cheers, Robert
----
  Mike.lifeguard